Southern Kern Unified School District
Board of Trustees
2019 Board President, Mario Gutierrez
First Elected 12/12/2001
Present Term Expires 12/2022
2019 Clerk of the Board, Larry TanksleyBoard Appointed 9/04/19Present Term Expires 11/2020
2019 Board Vice President, Yolanda SanchezElected 11/2016Present Term Expires 12/2020
2019 Board Member: Jim BenderElected 11/2018Present Term Expires 12/2022
2019 Board Member, Dr. Carol RobinsonElected 11/2018Present Term Expires 11/2020
The Board shall work with the Superintendent to fulfill its major responsibilities, which include:
- Setting the direction for the district through a process that involves the community, parents/guardians, students, and staff and is focused on student learning and achievement.
- Establishing an effective and efficient organizational structure for the district.
- Providing support to the Superintendent and staff as they carry out the Board's direction.
- Ensuring accountability to the public for the performance of the district's schools.
- Providing community leadership and advocacy on behalf of students, the district's educational program, and public education in order to build support within the local community and at the state and national levels.
As written in the Policies of the Board 9000 Series