RHSECC Boys BasketballHead Coach - Johnny Johnson
Welcome to RHS Boy’s Basketball
We want this to be a great experience for your athlete and you.
Our mission statement is to teach RHS boys basketball in a fun and competitive atmosphere that encourages skill development, sportsmanship, camaraderie and learning how to win and lose with class.
Below is a little more detail to let you know what is expected of your athlete and what you can expect of the coaches.
Our Goals for the Players:
- Seed a passion for basketball in all of our players. Hopefully, this will be the start of a lifetime of playing the game of basketball.
- Compete, learn something about themselves and grow as athletes and people.
- Learn basketball skills and fundamentals.
- Have fun!
Expectations we have of the Coaches:
- 100% commitment and respect for your athletes as individuals and for the team.
- Positive attitudes and constant encouragement.
- An appropriate level of challenging the athletes to work hard, which will result in positive results on the court. There is a delicate balance between pushing too hard and not pushing hard enough at the high school level. If you think we're pushing too much, or not enough, just let us know.
- Structured practices with an appropriate mix of repetition to breed basketball instinct and new drills/routines to avoid boredom and learn new aspects of the game.
Expectations we have of the kids:
- Great attitudes! This is CRITICAL in basketball because it is a game of surges and momentum. If we get discouraged every time a team scores several points in a row on us, we will be defeated. We want the athletes to stay calm, dig in and work through it. Similarly, when we make a run on other teams, we want the athletes not to be complacent but continue to work hard. If one athlete gets down, it can quickly bring everyone down.
- Work as a TEAM: Basketball is fun when you work as a team. That means EVERYONE plays unselfishly, plays tough defense, hustles, dives and gets rebounds, hustles back on defense, etc...
- Attend practices and be on time for games (30 minutes before a game for warm-ups).
- Listen and Learn: We hope and expect all athletes that want to play, hustle and have fun. Everyone needs to understand their part and execute. They are accountable to each other and to the coaches. In order to succeed, EVERYONE must listen, learn and execute.
- Show great sportsmanship ... Win or Lose.