Interdistrict Transfer Policies
Southern Kern Unified School District will be accepting and processing interdistrict transfer requests on an ongoing basis.
Criteria for Interdistrict transfers required by our district can be found on the Interdistrict Transfer Form and the IntraDistrict Transfer Form.
If you are appealing a denial to our district's governing board, please speak to the Superintendent ASAP.
Regarding interdistrict transfer requests submitted for a subsequent school year, the district must make a final decision as soon as possible, but in no case, more than 14 calendar days after the first day of school for the year in which the transfer was requested (note: if the transfer request is not acted on within this timeline, it is deemed denied).
Regarding interdistrict transfer requests submitted for the current school year, a final decision must be made no more than 30 calendar days following the receipt of the request by the district (note: if the transfer request is not acted on within this timeline, it is deemed denied).
A denial of an interdistrict transfer request may be appealed to the County Board of Education within 30 calendar days of a final denial by a district and the parents must be so advised in writing by either regular (postal) mail, email or any other way normally used to communicate with parents in writing.
The failure to meet any timeline established by the district is deemed an abandonment of the interdistrict transfer request.
A student may provisionally attend the district to which he/she seeks to transfer so long as the receiving district agrees, the parent can provide reasonable evidence that a final decision is pending before either the sending or receiving school district or before the County Office of Education and the duration of provisional attendance has not exceeded two months.
The circumstances in which an existing interdistrict transfer may be revoked or rescinded.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This inter-district transfer agreement is valid only for five years or until the student enters middle or high school.
- This agreement may be revoked at any time by the district of attendance for the following reasons:
- Student is excessively tardy or absent from school, or student is brought to school excessively early or left excessively late.
- Student fails to uphold appropriate behavior standards.
- Student has poor academic performance.
- Insufficient space in the school and/or grade level.
- False or misleading information was provided.
- Student or parent fails to follow school rules.
- Students entering grades 11 and 12 in the subsequent school year shall not have their agreements rescinded by either district.
- Approval is subject to space availability in the district and may not be at the site requested.
- If the student participates in any athletic program governed by the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), he/she may not be eligible to participate at the new school. Parent/Guardian should check the CIF rules before submitting this agreement.
- Students who are eligible for Special Education Services may be asked to obtain an Inter/Intra- SELPA Agreement for Individuals with Exceptional Needs, in addition to the inter-district transfer agreement.
- No financial obligation shall be incurred by the district of residence for services rendered under this agreement.
- The parent/guardian is responsible for providing transportation to and from the school.